04 Dec How to celebrate a new decade without any regrets
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I value my sleep. I am inherently an early riser, so getting my beauty rest is imperative to say the least. When I don’t, I have to fight my alter ego, aka the “momster” from showing up and ruining the day.
New Years is a super exciting and fun celebration in our home. We have a tradition that we have followed for 5 years now. Partying with our friends from down the street. Its’ the one night that I let down my guard. The kids stay up late, and I drink more than 1 or 2.
While it’s always a hilarious night that involves guitar band, just dance (even Russian dancing) and lots of laughing with many stories to tell for years to come, I’ll be honest that a little part of me stresses in side.
Don’t laugh, but the 3 things I worry about are alcohol interrupting my sleep, not getting enough, which is inevitable and not being able to function or be productive the next day.
I love showing up to my life fully. So, the idea of starting the year off exhausted, hung over and lazy on the couch is HUGELY UNCOMFORTABLE. Call me crazy, but I feel like I’m setting the tone for the entire year. And that is not the tone I want to set. I’m type A and that doesn’t change just because it’s New Year’s Eve.
So, I follow some “rules” for my one late night, sleep deprived, alcohol consuming event.
- I drink a glass of water between every alcoholic beverage that I have.
- I continue to eat gluten and grain free and absolutely LIMIT my sugar… Sugar and alcohol are an almost lethal combination for me…. this means I never have the sugary alcoholic drinks. Dry wines and low sugar drinks such as Socials ensure a fun night, with out blood sugar highs or lows.
- Vitamin C and zinc are a must. Alcohol and no sleep are a sure fire way to get sick. These nutrients will not only boost my immune system, they’ll provide antioxidants to counter some of the damage that any alcohol might do.
- Colubrina/Nux Vomica is a homeopathic remedy that addresses indulgence, whether alcohol or food. It works wonderfully if I do feel unwell the next day. Low potency (12CH) taken a few times can flip the yucky feeling in minutes.
- When I’m super tired, instead of thinking about all the things I should avoid, I focus on what my body needs to thrive. Greens always play high on my list. I blend up a green smoothie with lots of cold water, lemon juice, ginger and a touch of green apple and sip away. On the side, I boost my good fats with nuts, avocado and MCT oil.
- I love my B vitamins and eating high protein foods. A good B complex- is great for supporting stress, the nervous system, carbohydrate metabolism and energy production. By adding high protein foods, you will help to balance your carbohydrate levels and support optimal blood sugar levels.
I can’t believe we are about to start a new decade- what goals do you have and what tone will you set???